The decision to end a marriage does not necessarily mean that a couple has to pursue a divorce, as filing for legal separation can be a better option for some couples.
In fact, when it comes to divorce and legal separation in Colorado:
- Both of these options will legally declare the parties to be financial independent of each other, except for the specific terms laid out in the decree of the divorce or legal separation.
- Matters of child custody, child support and/or spousal support will have to be worked out for both divorce and legal separation proceedings.
- Both divorce and legal separation in Colorado will also require that the marital property and the marital debt are divided between the two partners.
- Legal separation may afford some couples protections or financial benefits that may not be available via divorce.
- The Denver family law attorney at Goldman Law, LLC can help couples determine which option may be better for them and assist them in pursue either a divorce or legal separation in Colorado.
When you trust Goldman Law, LLC to oversee your legal separation in Colorado, you can rest assured that your case will be resolved as favorably and efficiently as possible so you can get on with your life and look towards a bright future.
When Legal Separation in Colorado May Be Preferable…
Although the processes associated with pursuing a divorce and obtaining a legal separation are very similar, the outcomes of these options can be very different. In fact, legal separation may be a better option if or when:
- Couples are not ready to move forward with a divorce or do not want to divorce for religious reasons.
- There is a desire to maintain certain inheritance rights.
- One of the partners needs to maintain health insurance coverage under the other partner’s policy. This can be particularly important if one partner is living with a chronic or serious illness and divorcing would result in the loss of critical health insurance coverage.
- Retirement benefits and/or survivor’s benefits (through the Social Security Administration) need to be maintained.
It’s also important to point out that, at any point after obtaining a legal separation in Colorado, couples can choose to move forward with a divorce when they are ready to take this step.
Denver Family Lawyer at Goldman Law, LLC
If you are ready to pursue a legal separation or if you need assistance with any matter related to family law, the trusted Denver family law attorney at Goldman Law, LLC is ready to stand up for your rights and help you resolve your case as favorably as possible. At Goldman Law, LLC, we are dedicated to:
- Advocating our clients’ interests in any setting
- Providing them with personalized attention, regular updates and realistic expectations throughout the course of a case
- Ensuring they obtain the best possible outcomes to their important and sensitive matters.
To learn more about your rights and receive a professional case evaluation, contact us by calling (303) 656-9529 or by emailing us using the contact form on this page. From our offices in Denver, we serve clients throughout Colorado.